Emotional Overload

I had a two hour drive (one way) scheduled for today to see of the kids I'm working with.  Normally I would talk to my parents or Scott when driving long distances for work.  Today however, my parents weren't available as they were doing a stand at a show out of the area.  This highlighted the fact that I couldn't talk with Scott either.  Two hours in a van alone was not a great day -- too much time to think.

I'm not sure I can even describe all the emotions I'm experiencing today, but I'm going to give it a try.  First is such an intense feeling of loneliness and missing the friendship that Scott and I had.  I lost my best friend and it is in the quiet moments that this hits home the most.  I still check my phone throughout the day for texts or phone messages from him.  I miss him reminding me to loosen up, just relax, and not take things so seriously.  I miss how he balanced me out and helped soften some of my edges.

I am struck by a sense of anger and unfairness.  I have two grandmothers, both in their mid to upper 90's.  Both are in nursing homes.  While I love them both and would not wish anything to happen to them, I wonder why God would leave them here at their age and take Scott at age 40, who had really only lived half a life.  Then there is a huge sense of being overwhelmed and anxious.  Mentally I know that God is taking care of Jaelyn and I, but there is still a sense of anxiety for the future. I can't even explain why I feel such anxiety or pinpoint even even what it is exactly that I am anxious about.

Odd how I prefer silence more since Scott's death.  I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have sat down to watch tv since his death.  And music, whether soft rock or praise and worship, is almost all about love, heaven, and/or God -- all of which make me think about Scott and what he has gained and what Jaelyn and I have lost.  Music right now can trigger tears quicker than anything else.

I'm sitting at a rest stop along the turnpike right now writing this post -- hoping it will clear some emotions so I don't have to hold back tears in order to drive safely.  This is one of the worst things about grief -- you never know when or where the intensity will hit, but I have noticed that it tends to be the most inopportune times when I can't just stop and allow the release of emotions, either because of time or place or a sense that others may either be unable or unprepared to deal with the emotions.  I learned that I cannot predict what will touch my emotions and what won't.  I am puzzled at times by things that don't trigger emotions and then seemingly insignificant things can trigger such intense emotions.  It is like riding a rollercoaster blindfolded, unable to see when the next curve or hill is coming and what direction it will take you.  You can't prepare for what is coming next.  There is a huge sense of being out of control and for someone like me who likes to plan everything out in advance, it is downright scary at times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

"Normal"

Nine years