Kudos to all the single parents out there!


Today I am filled with awe at all the single moms out there that take it all on their shoulders every day.  I don’t think I ever recognized how difficult it is to be a single parent before going through this.  I believe that single parents especially, become very adept at juggling.   I’m not sure I will ever be adept, I’m just hoping to become adequate.  The last couple of weeks trying to balance keeping a house clean, having clean laundry to wear, healthy and balanced meals on the table, as well as maintaining discipline, supporting us financially, doing a good job at work, have been challenging.  And that list doesn’t even include the most important things of loving Jaelyn, being in tune to where she is at emotionally as well as myself, helping her work through her grief, and providing a stable, consistent life for her.   I realize that I have a few extra challenges on my plate right now with packing to move and getting the new house ready to move into, but I’m not sure those “extra” challenges in life ever really go away, they just change. 

I am more aware than I ever have been when I am short of patience with Jaelyn.  I think I am more aware of my shortcomings as a parent since having to go it alone.   I do realize that I am doing pretty well considering all the major life upsetting changes in the past six months.  I do try to cut myself some slack.  It is on days like today, when Jaelyn needs to get to the doctor and I have to balance out my leave time at work and my need to be with Jaelyn, that it really stresses me out. 

All of that to say, kudos to all those single parents/military spouses out there taking on everything on their own -- in a job that God intended to be shared.  It is a challenge that those who have not been there cannot even begin to imagine.  Please know that my respect for you since I have joined your ranks is through the roof, especially you single parents with more than one child – I cannot even begin to imagine how you balance it all out and remain sane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

Nine years