Father to the Fatherless

So, yesterday was Father’s Day.  As I’m sure you can imagine, this day brings such mixed emotions for Jaelyn and I.  I am beyond grateful for the wonderful father that I have.  He has been there for me whenever I have needed him.  He has never hesitated, even now, to let me know if he thought I needed correction or redirection.    Anytime I need or want help with a project, help with getting something repaired, need advice, or just need a hug, I know that he is there and will help or support me in any way that he can.

Yet, as you can imagine, I grieve for Jaelyn that her father is no longer here to fill that role for her.  Scott was a wonderful father to Jaelyn.  He loved to spend time with her, share his love of the outdoors and sports with her, and play with her.  This loss has been a huge loss for Jaelyn.  I see so clearly how she craves that father figure.   She may not consciously realize how much she craves it, but it is so obvious when you see her with the special men in her life. 

I am thankful that God has allowed and provided my dad with good health, that he lives close by, and that he has a close relationship with Jaelyn.  Time with Grandpa has become very special to her.  It is very clear when my dad is away on the days that Jaelyn is at their house, that his absence makes a huge difference in her attitude. She is more grumpy with everyone around her and clingy with me.   Dad has tried to do regular “date” nights with Jaelyn.  We haven’t used that title with her, but after watching her get ready for the second evening of just her and Grandpa doing something special, it was clear that this conveys the specialness of those times for her.   Jaelyn changed into a dress, did her hair special, and put on her Sunday sandals.  

Please, men, if you know of a fatherless child – whether by death or absence – don’t discount the importance you might have in that child’s life.   Women, if you know of a motherless child – again whether by death or absence – don’t discount the importance you might have in that child’s life.  God intended us to have a mother and a father for a reason.  Look around you, are there children without a mother or father?  How will these children grow up to understand God’s given roles for men and women and how each should be treated without role models to look up to?

Psalm 68:5

“A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

"Normal"

Nine years