Hope and a Future


“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11

 

I came across this verse tonight while reading through a book on the journey through grief.    I have been doing a lot of thinking since passing the year mark of Scott’s death.  I have felt the pull of despair and discouragement harder in the last couple of weeks than I have in a little while.  I believe that my focus over the past year was moving forward day by day with a subconscious goal of making it through the first year.  Since “making it through the first year” I have felt like I am wandering aimlessly.  Any time I think of the future I feel down again, as reality hits hard that my partner, my spouse, my best friend is not part of that future.  It seems blank and I have no vision for what the future will look like.  Right now that is a depressing feeling.  When I read the verse above tonight – a verse that I have heard often in my life – the phrase that popped out at me was “hope and a future.”  While I may not feel hope for the future right now, I am clinging to this verse as God’s promise that the hope for the future will come.  I believe that the turning point in my grief journey will come when I find a “hope and a future.”  However long it takes me to get to that point, I know I am moving in that direction – just as an artist begins with a rough sketch, I believe that the foundations and background for that hope and future are being formed now – I just can’t see it for what it is.  That turning point will be when I recognize the beginnings of the sketch and the colors beginning to be put down on the canvas.  That clarity and wisdom will come from God, in His time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

"Normal"

Nine years