Jaelyn’s Memory Locket

 

About a year ago I bought my first Origami Owl necklace.  A friend of mine started selling them last fall, just after Scott’s death.  When I followed her link to the website, what I saw intrigued me.  It was a unique piece of jewelry that I could personalize in memory of Scott for a reasonable amount of money.  I had never heard of Origami Owl before that.  Even the name, Living Locket, was meaningful, as the charms that I chose for it represented Scott’s life and death.  The locket was beautiful when it arrived and I have worn it frequently over the past year.  Every time I wore the locket I would have comments and questions about it.  It allowed me to talk about my story and what each charm in the locket stood for. 

007

Jaelyn would frequently ask me if she could get one.  I hesitated for the longest time, concerned whether she would take care of it.  A few months ago I made the decision that I would get Jaelyn her own Origami Owl Living Locket in memory of her daddy.  She picked out the locket and the charms that reminded her of her daddy.  She chose four charms – a heart with wings on it (for her love for her daddy), a dog with a pink collar (for Trip and Shadow), a basketball (Scott loved basketball), and a starfish (Scott and Jaelyn loved the beach).

IMG_1091

Jaelyn could not wait for it to come, asking me every day if it had come yet.  Finally, about a week ago, Jaelyn’s locket arrived.  She has worn that locket every day, except two school days – one because we ran out of time to get it before school and the other because she had gym class that day.  Jaelyn has taken great pride in showing that locket to teachers at school and talking about what each charm in the locket stands for.  It has given her the opportunity to talk about her story and share about her daddy.

The lockets have been so special to us, as a way to “carry” Scott with us each day, a way to remember him, and a way to share our story.  My only regret is not getting Jaelyn her locket sooner. 

 

http://staci23murray.origamiowl.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

Nine years