Importance of Preventative Medicine

For those of you who have followed our journey over the five and a half years since Scott’s death, you will remember that our concern was to make sure that Jaelyn’s heart was healthy and that she was receiving preventative screenings since we weren’t 100% sure of what caused the severe blockages in Scott’s arteries.  We decided, in consultation with Jaelyn’s pediatrician, to wait a little over a year after Scott’s death to complete the first screening for Jaelyn, in an effort to be more removed emotionally from the trauma of his death.  So, four years ago when Jaelyn went through her first Cardiology screening, both Jaelyn and I were anxious about it.  She was anxious because of new doctors, unusual (to her) tests, and bloodwork.  Although I think the bloodwork was the biggest fear due to her very strong aversion to needles.  I was anxious that something would show up on the tests or bloodwork.  Jaelyn made it through the bloodwork with the support of Grandpa’s arm around her and great laboratory staff.  We walked away the day of the screening with peace of mind that everything looked good and a plan to come back for another screening in a year.

The second screening a year later was less stressful and with only an EKG completed.  Jaelyn was so thrilled about not having to have bloodwork done this year that I don’t think she was anxious about the cardiology appointment at all!  Again Jaelyn received all positive news.  Now the plan was for a third screening in three years as puberty through age 18 are when the biggest changes occur in the body.

We had completely forgotten time until I received the phone call two months ago from the cardiologist’s office that the three years were up and it was time for her screening again. I wasn’t anxious this time, with the exception over Jaelyn needing to have her cholesterol checked again, which requires bloodwork.  While she is much better at managing shots, it was pretty clear that the thought of a needle going into her vein still had the ability to stress her out really badly.  I think the actual cardiology screening, with the EKG and Echocardiogram, was somewhat anticlimactic for her after getting through the bloodwork almost two weeks ago.   Praise God that yet again, her results are normal, with exceptionally good cholesterol.  It is good when our biggest frustration from the appointment was that it went longer than we expected and she missed the first half of her soccer practice.   Another screening is planned for 2-3 years from now.  I am hopeful that once her body is finished growing and changing she will no longer need the preventative screenings and can simply do routine cholesterol tests as preventative care.


Each screening is a reminder to me to make sure that I am taking care of my own preventative care.  I also had bloodwork done at the same time as Jaelyn to check my cholesterol which I have had checked only once since Scott’s death.  And I know that I have a family history of high cholesterol.  I have to admit I was dreading the bloodwork almost as much as Jaelyn — not because I’m afraid of needles (I’m not), but because my veins are notoriously difficult to find.  But it was a reminder that no matter how difficult the tests might be — whether from fear of needles or difficulty finding veins — they are still a simple and cheap preventative medicine.  If Scott had his cholesterol checked, it might have detected high cholesterol which we believe was the cause of his blocked arteries, and prevented his death.  Please remember to take regular preventative measures to ensure good health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

"Normal"

Nine years