Divine Encounter




Driving home from work today, seeing the gorgeous and dramatic clouds gave me a craving to get out tonight with my camera.  After dropping Jaelyn off at youth group, I began driving toward Indiantown Gap, not really knowing where I wanted to go.  I began feeling this pull to go to the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery.  I haven’t been there for a while, but felt a pull to be there with Scott heavy in my thoughts.  

When driving into the cemetery, the clouds behind the Veteran’s Memorial and the sun shining on the front caught my attention.  Knowing how quickly clouds and light can change, I quickly pulled around so that I could get pictures.  I wasn’t out of the car but a few seconds when I heard the stirring sounds of a bagpipe echoing through the cemetery with the notes of a medley of hymns.  It was deep and clear echoing over the graves.  The beauty and peace of it sent chills down my arms.  It seemed as if time stood still while the song resonated across the cemetery.   

Not sure where the sound was coming from, but knowing that it was too late in the day for any burial ceremonies and drawn to be closer to the music, I began driving through the cemetery.    I really felt drawn to thank whoever was playing for the comfort it brought to me.  I had an experience a few years ago with a gentleman singing by the grave that brought significant comfort to me in that moment and a sense of God’s presence and I didn’t take the opportunity to thank him.  I have regretted that ever since.

No other cars or people were around until I pulled into the Veteran’s Memorial.  When I walked up to the entrance to the Memorial I noticed man in military fatigues talking on his cell phone in the Memorial.  Rather than disturb him, I went down the steps toward the front of the Memorial to get some more pictures of the Memorial with the dramatic dark clouds. 

After a few minutes I went back up the stairs and entered the Veteran’s Memorial.  The soldier was no longer in the Memorial so I walked slowly toward the front of the Memorial  to take some more pictures.  I heard a voice calling “Miss.”  I turned and the man in fatigues was walking toward me.  He asked if I had heard his playing.  I told him that I had and that it was beautiful.  We talked for a few moments and I shared that my husband was buried in the cemetery.  We talked for a few minutes about Scott and his military experiences.  I explained the experience I had a few years earlier with the gentleman singing by the grave and explained that his playing had brought a similar comfort.  He was touched by this. We talked for a few minutes longer.  He shared that he was at the Gap for his two weeks National Guard training and that every time he came to the Gap, he came to the cemetery to play his bagpipes.  He too described a sense of peace that comes over him every time he comes to this particular National cemetery.

Thank you again, National Guardsman Grant, for taking the time to come to the cemetery and play your bagpipes.  Even though you didn’t know anyone was listening at the time, it brought comfort to me and a chance to talk about Scott and honor his memory.  God knew what I needed to tonight and guided me to the right spot to hear your playing.  Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

Nine years