New Recipes Again! Ham and Noodle Casserole 5 WW pts., plus a splurge for dessert.

Yet another recipe from the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook.

I haven't really tried a recipe from this book that I didn't like. It has been fun, since I'm not working I have time to try all kinds of new recipes. I'm finding my joy of cooking and baking again -- now that I'm not cooking for 15 people everyday!


If you are a lover of white sauces or alfredo sauces, this is a tasty low-fat alternative. It was very creamy and tasty.

Ham and Noodle Casserole

6 ounces uncooked yolk-free fine noodles
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) 1% small-curd cottage cheese
1 package (10 oz) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup fat-free milk
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dill weed or 1 Tablespoon snipped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add noodles and toss to coat. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Weight Watchers 5 pts/serving. Yield: 4 servings -- 1 1/2 cups equals 266 calories -- very large serving.


Today I even experimented with the bread machine that was my grandmothers and I have had for about a year without using. The bread was incredible! Now I just have to find healthy options to try in the bread machine -- anyone out there that has any low-fat/healthy recipes for a 1 1/2 or 2 pound loaf size bread machine, send them my way!

I splurged and made a Chocolate Ricotta Cake for dessert. I did lighten it up by using Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs and light ricotta instead of regular. There are more ways I can lighten it up if I plan ahead, I just didn't have the lighter ingredients on hand. I haven't calculated Weight Watcher's points for this, as I wasn't sure how to --maybe a fellow weight watcher can help me figure it out.

Chocolate Ricotta Cake

1 Marble Cake Mix
2 lbs Ricotta Cheese, fat free
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs or 1 cup egg beaters
1 Tablespoon of vanilla

Frosting:
1 small box of chocolate instant pudding
1 cup milk (low-fat)
1 container (9 oz) Cool Whip lite

Prepare cake as directed, pour batter into a greased, floured 9x13 pan. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over batter. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let cool, then chill. Frosting: Mix pudding and milk, then fold into Cool Whip. Frost cold cake and keep refrigerated.

This is a very moist light cake. This recipe can also be done with a yellow cake mix and your choice of pudding flavor for the frosting.


This was a fun day of cooking, baking, and yes, even cleaning. A clean house feels so relaxing! Had to run my dishwasher three times today with all the cooking and baking. Lots of leftovers from this week to pick from -- 3 new recipes -- for Friday and the weekend.

Looking forward to warm weather tomorrow and a chance to get outside and enjoy the weather. Maybe I can join Jaelyn on the trampoline tomorrow before it gets too warm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nine years

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay