"Our" girls

Friday evening I had the blessing of spending some time with two of "our" girls from Milton Hershey School.  For those that may not know, Scott and I were houseparents at Milton Hershey School for a little over four years.  We spent 1 1/2 of those years with elementary school girls and then moved with them to middle school for another three years.  There were six or seven girls that we had the entire four years (the first six months we moved from home to home covering for other houseparents on their days off).  We left Milton Hershey School when Jaelyn was 5 1/2 years old.  

There are a few girls that really hold a special spot in my heart and held a special spot in Scott’s heart as well.  Aaliyah and Keirstin (KeKe) are two of those girls.  The last time that I had the opportunity to see them - and KeKe’s sister, Angel (who also holds a special spot in our hearts) - was at Scott’s viewing.  I was very blessed and touched by the effort that they, their families, and their houseparents made to get them to Scott’s viewing, to be able to say their goodbyes.  So it was almost four years since I saw them last and with very little opportunity to talk at that time.  As you can imagine, there was a lot to catch up on.  


We spent about five hours catching up and reminiscing.  Aaliyah and KeKe were with us from the start of 4th grade when they first came to Milton Hershey School through almost the end of 7th grade, when we left MHS.  I am beyond proud of these girls!  They have huge goals for themselves and are well on their way to achieving those goals.  I remember thinking often throughout our time on Friday evening, “I wish I could tell Scott about this.”  I know without a shadow of a doubt that Scott would be so proud of them as well.  He would have enjoyed the conversation and their sense of humor.  They have each had their challenges in life, but they are positive, motivated, and hard working young ladies.  I am looking forward to keeping in contact and seeing how far these young ladies go in life!  Love you girls!


Aaliyah playing with Jaelyn in June 2008.


KeKe playing with Jaelyn in February 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9th Annual Scott Bradley Adventurous Life Scholarship

Nine years

2020 Rearview Mirror