Faith of a Child

One of my informal New Year’s resolutions that I made about a month ago was to make sharing my relationship with God with Jaelyn.  When she was little, we did devotions with her every night at bedtime.  Life has a way of getting in the way and before I knew it, it had been a few years since we had done devotions together.  I have been thinking, praying, and looking for a family devotional to use for Jaelyn and me.  I purchased one a few weeks ago, but with the holidays hadn’t had a chance to begin using it – actually, truth is, I didn’t make it a priority. 

At Christmas time I talked with Jaelyn about starting family devotions together and wanted to start after the New Year when we were back in normal routines.  I am ashamed to say that Jaelyn had to ask me what devotions were.  Making daily time to spend with God has been a priority over the past sixteen months, especially since Scott’s death.  I haven’t always been consistent with it, but have really prioritized that over the last month.  However, since I take that time after Jaelyn goes to bed each evening when the house is quiet, she doesn’t see me spending that time with God.


So, tonight I decided was the time to start our family devotion routine.  I explained to Jaelyn that our family devotions would consist of reading a Bible passage, reading the corresponding devotion in our devotional, discussing it, and then praying together.  Jaelyn piped up to tell me that she prays every night after she goes to bed.  Caught off guard by this, I asked her what she prays about.  She shared that she prays about things she is thankful for.  While I am embarrassed that I have not talked with her about this in a few years, I am blessed that her depth of spiritual thinking does not depend upon me.  It also was convicting – how often do I take the time to thank God for my blessings? -- Certainly not as often as I cry to Him with my wants and needs.   But really, if I truly trust God to supply all my needs, shouldn’t my prayers more often be thankfulness for His care, rather than reminders of what I think I need?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9th Annual Scott Bradley Adventurous Life Scholarship

Nine years

2020 Rearview Mirror