Lessons from Bravery and Sacrifice in Boston


The rush of relief and surge of emotions that swept over me when I saw the news report that the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect had been captured is indescribable.  Our nephew is a student at MIT and his girlfriend is visiting him right now.  So many prayers have been said over the last few days for their safety.  I cannot begin to imagine how much greater the relief and surge of emotions that Nando and Abby’s parents are feeling right now.  The Bradley family has had more than enough family tragedy and trauma over the past thirteen months, this stress was not needed.  I am so very thankful that God kept them safe from harm.

I have heard many stories over the past few days and it seems like everyone had a personal connection of some kind to someone at the Boston Marathon, living in the Boston area, etc.  It is sad that it takes events like this, 9-11, and other tragedies to pull people together and focus on what it important.  I have seen many stories of bravery and sacrifice, people putting aside differences in lifestyles, beliefs, etc. to help in the face of danger and devastation.  I’m sure that some of these stories happen in “normal” life as well, we just don’t hear about those stories in the media.  Instead we hear about our politicians battling it out instead of working together, conservatives bashing liberals and liberals bashing conservatives.  I truly wish we lived in a world where people had respect for each other and the differences in beliefs.  I have been frustrated lately over the negativity on Facebook with gay rights, gun rights, etc.  While I may not agree with your beliefs or lifestyle choices, I will not treat you any differently than if I do agree with your beliefs and lifestyle choices.  I have deliberately chosen not to enter into any of the debates raging all over Facebook on various divisive issues, as all I have seen these debates doing is hurting people’s feelings, defining stereotypes, and generating negativity and animosity.  Yet, I’m sure those rushing to help the wounded and dead did not stop to ask what their beliefs were before helping – all those issues were put aside and all races helped each other, heterosexual/homosexual all helped each other, conservatives/liberals all helped each other.  This is the way it should be every day, regardless of the circumstances.

I hope we can all learn from the bravery and sacrifice of those at the Boston Marathon and the turmoil filled days in Boston since the bombing – to put aside differences and treat each other with care, compassion, and sacrifice without prejudice of any kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nine years

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay