Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken WW 4 pts per serving - w/out pasta

I am always looking for slow-cooker meals for days when I don't have time to be in the kitchen for long periods of time. This recipe fits the bill and comes with a high recommendation from my 5 year old daughter, "Mommy, you can make this again."

Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken
From the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz) each
1 can (14 1/2 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cold water

Place chicken in a 3 qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover; cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170. Remove the chicken and keep warm. Pour cooking juice into a large saucepan; skim fat. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over chicken and pasta.

Yield: 4 servings -- 4 WW pts per serving.

Make sure if you are counting WW points to add in any points for whatever pasta you use for this recipe as the WW points calculated for the recipe do not include pts for pasta. One serving equals one Chicken breast half with 1/2 cup sauce equals 241 calories

Very yummy and very easy to make -- I threw it in the slow-cooker at 12:00 and it was ready to eat by 5 p.m. Thickening the sauce only took about 3 minutes as the sauce is close to boiling when in the slow-cooker. I used extra pasta from making my Tuna Noodle Casserole from last night, so this really simplified the meal even more.

I have been planning my meals on Monday for the week, so this way I can think ahead, like making twice as much pasta on Monday than I needed for the meal, so that it was already cooked for Tuesday night's meal, when I knew that I would be short on time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Normal"

New Hobby -- Clay jewelry and crafts with Sculpey Clay

Nine years